HSE Asbestos Compliance in non-LA Managed Schools
A recently published Health & Safety Executive survey of non-Local Authority maintained schools (i.e. independent and academies).
It was looking purely at asbestos and found:
· 36% did not have a full understanding of their responsibility as Duty Holder
· 33% did not have a comprehensive asbestos survey
· over 60% did not have comprehensive Asbestos Management Plans
· 46% did not have comprehensive systems to communicate asbestos issues to contractors
· 15% were served with HSE Improvement Notices
The full report can be found here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/services/education/asbestos-schools-inspections13-14-evaluation.pdf
AA Projects undertake upwards of 40 Statutory Compliance and Health and Safety Reviews each year with a much wider remit than simply asbestos. These confirm that there is a high degree of non-compliance with academies; through lack of awareness of requirements rather than intent.